Black+Decker LHT2220 is not expensive, reasonably powerful and easy to use hedge trimmer. It will help you with seasonal hedge trimming or keeping your fancy shaped shrubs in good state year-round. In this review I’ll mention few topics such as technical features, ergonomy, pros and cons of this particular hedge trimmer and of course will do it as honestly as always.
“22-inch dual-action blades cut branches with 40 percent less vibration”
22 inch an optimal length for domestic hedge trimmer blades. Longer blades means more overall hedge cutters weight and more friction between the blades, that will decrease battery’s lifetime. And in case with Black+Decker LHT2220 you can easily be using it with completely stretched arms because it weights only 5.7 pounds with attached battery. But if height of the hedge exceeds your own height and for some reason you don’t want to use step ladder, you’ll get better results with one of Long Reach Hedge Trimmers, and will also avoid money wasting and disappointment. Vibration is certainly reduced compare with an older and single action blade models. But if this particular feature is important for you because of vibration sensitivity of joint conditions, you can also try using vibration reducing gloves to eliminate any vibration that is produced by this hedge cutter.
“20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery provides longer battery life year after year”
How weird it wouldn’t sound, but batteries are at the same time biggest advantage and disadvantage of electric cordless hedge trimmers. It certainly giving you complete freedom of movement around the garden, but by the end of battery charge you will have to put your cutter on hold for few hours, whilst you neighbor be still cutting his hedges with his corded cutter. But it’s entirely about what you prefer the most- charging the battery of fixing the cables that you cut through. During the tests, Black+Decker LHT2220 with a 20v battery showed us between 30 and 40 minutes (but never less than 30) of non stop running time after a full charge. Of course, during that time you’ll have sip of water, walk from one bush to another, some time to rake what you just cut (and this usually takes longer than cutting), and even a little brake, so real work time will double or even triple up. But if you assume that your hedges are going to take longer to cut than life time of one battery, then additional battery and fast charger are an absolute must have. Fast charger is made to recharge your battery in 45 minutes or less against 3 to 4 hours with a standard charger. Having those will give you a feeling of operating a gas powered trimmer whilst making ways less noise and emission.
“Up to 3000 square feet of actual hedges trimmed per charge”
The most questionable statement here. It really depends on what sort of hedge it is, what shape it is, what height it is and of course how overgrown it is. So simple “30-40 cutting minutes per charge” would be more appropriate.
“Quick cuts branches up to 3/4-inch thick”
Another questionable statement which i can not leave without a comment. Undoubtedly hedge cutter is able to cut 3/4-inch thick branch, but doing it with hardish wood hedges as evergreen oak, beech, holly or even overgrown elaeagnus hedge will bend both blades and and over wear blade spacers which makes both blades detached. As a result you get a hedge cutter that is “chewing” small branches and leaving high percent of bad cuts. So if you see that you’ll have quite a few thick branches to cut, I would highly recommend you to get a garden lopper. You can get good quality lopper with cutting capacity of 2-inch for only under $25, but it will save you ways more on servicing or even buying new hedge trimmer every season.
“Wraparound handle allows multiple gripping positions”
Absolutely nothing to add here, this grippy and well designed handle will allow you to do any sort of trimming. Cutting a vertical surface, tops of the hedges or doing your fancy shaped bushes where rapid and smooth change of angle is very important, this handle will let you do it all.
“Weighs 5.7 pounds”
Possibly lightest hedge trimmer in this segment of the market, as I didn’t find any 22-24inch cordless hedge trimmer lighter than this. In most of the occasions you wouldn’t even spot a difference between 5 and 6 or 6 and 7 pounds. But after you swung those pounds in the air for hour or two you’ll understand why exactly this feature of the hedge cutter is so important.
Pros and Cons
- User friendly – Low weight, front hand guard to reduce the risk of injury, grippy wraparound handle. All these features will let you get the results you desire even without much experience.
- Price – Under 100 bucks for an opportunity to keep you shrubs in shape yourself and no need to call gardening company to do that, this hedge cutter pays itself fairly quick.
- Battery – Simple and quick battery replacement. Choice of 20V cordless tools in Black+Decker range will let you get you next DIY tool saving up to 3/4 of the price as batteries are interchangeable.
- Vibration – Much less vibration compare to the older version. Your joints will appreciate that.
- No sticking out blades – On some hedge trimmers, even commercial ones, blades are alternately sticking out on the front end of the bar, which makes it dangerous to work around windows, glasshouses etc. This trimmer has doesn’t have such a problem.
- Battery’s Lifetime – Lifetime of the 20v battery with this particular trimmer is between 30 and 40 minutes after full charge. I will not be an issue with a small garden. With a medium size garden there is a risk of being stuck in the middle of the process. But as I wrote above this can be easily solved by getting an additional battery and quick charger which also be useful with other 20v cordless Black+Decker tools.
- Front Hand Guard – Front hand guards existence is definitely a major asset. But on this particular model is quite fragile and easy to brake.
Overall Black+Decker LHT2220 is a good little hedge trimmer for price/quality ratio. Obviously it won’t be any good to set your own gardening company, but will definitely let you keep your own garden nice and tidy. Yet with additional battery and quick charger this affordable thing has a right to be in top 3 cordless electric hedge trimmers. After trying this cordless trimmer you won’t get back to endless cable extension and cable cutting.